SUBSCRIBE & WIN! Sign up for the Daily CHAT News Today Newsletter for a chance to win a $75 South Country Co-op gift card!

The Mustard Seed's North Flats location was forced to cease operations in February. File Photo/CHAT News
IN THE COMMUNITY

Tours to start for potential new Mustard Seed sites, Medicine Hat official says

Mar 26, 2025 | 4:55 PM

The Mustard Seed will in the coming weeks start touring potential sites included on a shortlist created by the City of Medicine Hat for a new, unified location for all its services.

The non-profit will start by checking out at least one of eight properties on the list in the “next week or so”, public services head Joseph Hutter said Wednesday.

He first revealed there was a shortlist during a committee meeting Monday.

After residents raised concerns over illicit drug use, prostitution and robberies committed by some who use The Mustard Seed’s services in the Flats neighbourhood, a search for a new site began last year.

A collaborative effort involving the city, provincial officials, Medicine Hat Community Housing Society and The Mustard Seed received increased public attention in recent months after the organization’s daytime services were shutdown by the municipal planning authority.

Hutter said city staff, including the land and real estate division that provided the shortlist, are working to balance the needs of the community and the non-profit.

“We keep a very close ear to the ground and I think we have a reasonable understanding of what the public’s looking for and and as well as what The Mustard Seed’s looking for,” Hutter said.

While Hutter acknowledged having a new Mustard Seed location open ahead of next winter would be “ideal,” he explained firming up a timeline is impossible for now.

“It depends on the site. There could be a turnkey option or there could be another option that requires a lot more a lot more work,” said Hutter.

“Unfortunately I don’t have a timeline but rest assured that that we are doing our best.”

MLA Justin Wright, who represents Cypress-Medicine Hat, first launched the initiative to find a new Mustard Seed site and has been a key figure.

His office said they weren’t aware the city had finalized a shortlist when reached for comment from CHAT News.

But, in a statement, Wright said all the parties in the collaborative effort was united.

“My office, the city, The Mustard Seed, and ministry are working closely together,” he said.

“I thank the city for creating a shortlist that is conducive to meeting the needs of the municipal bylaws, needs of at-risk individuals, and ensuring that concerns of the community are being addressed.”

Wright last December accused the city of mishandling public communications over The Mustard Seed relocation plan.

Medicine Hat’s police chief Alan Murphy told CHAT News there’s been an increase in vulnerable people downtown in the weeks since The Mustard Seed’s daytime services location on Allowance Avenuye Southeast closed.