SANTA ROSA, Calif. — It will take at least months and likely years to fully recover from devastating wildfires that ripped through Northern California earlier this month, destroying at least 8,900 structures and killing 42 people, Sonoma County officials said Saturday.
"We don't control these things, and it makes you realize how small you are in the world when something like this happens," Sonoma County Sheriff Rob Giordano said. "I don't think we understand the level at which it is going to impact lives, and the community will be different."
Giordano spoke before hundreds of people gathered at a college in Santa Rosa, one of the hardest-hit cities, for a memorial service to
Before a bell rung 42 times to commemorate the dead, Giordano and other officials praised the ordinary and extraordinary acts of heroism by first responders and community members as the firefight raged on for more than a week. Some firefighters worked days on the front line, refusing to take breaks, while sheriff's dispatchers continued taking calls even as the fire came close to taking out their building.
"The night of Oct. 8, we were all tested," Santa Rosa fire Chief Tony Gossner said.
U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and five members of Congress spent Saturday attending the memorial, touring the fire ravaged areas and gathering advice from federal, state and local officials on what Congress can do to aid the recovery efforts. In a briefing in Santa Rosa, officials asked them to ease red tape that will make it easier to erect temporary housing and to ensure the Environmental Protection Agency has the resources it needs to clean up any hazardous material before it infiltrates the water supply.
The EPA has assessed 740 properties so far, while the Federal Emergency Management Agency has given out $6 million worth of rental and other assistance to displaced Californians, officials said. Officials estimate the cleanup of debris and other hazardous materials will last into early 2018. The losses are estimated to be at more than $1 billion.
Pelosi and U.S. Rep. Mike Thompson, who represents Santa Rosa, said they must make their fellow lawmakers in Washington understand the unprecedented nature of the fires, the deadliest in California history. They drove through a
"It was just unfathomable the amount of destruction that we saw," Pelosi said. "My colleagues will have to understand this is different from anything else, many times over."
But Pelosi said Northern California's response to the fires can serve as a national model for disaster response if done right. She urged her colleagues in Congress to think beyond the incremental rebuilding needs to consider the big picture of helping the region better prepare for and mitigate damage from future disasters. Obtaining the appropriate amount of relief money will require detailed documentation of homes lost and other destruction, she said.
Santa Rosa alone lost five
"What would we like to see the result be? Let's engineer it back from there," she said of the rebuilding efforts.
On top of the devastation, authorities have had to deal with looting in
The Santa Rosa Police Department has corrected the name of one of the two people who were arrested on suspicion of looting in
A man the department previously identified as 29-year-old Sean Kranyak has now been identified as Johnathon Leon Lee Conner of Monterey County. Conner and 22-year-old Cristina Marsh could face charges including looting, conspiracy and vehicle theft. It wasn't known Sunday if they have attorneys.
The department said on its Facebook page that additional felony charges have been filed against Conner for allegedly using another victim's stolen information to identify himself.
Witnesses called police after the pair was spotted allegedly loading pilfered goods into a truck.
Police previously reported looting arrests as the fires burned. Santa Rosa imposed a curfew in evacuation zones because so many houses were empty.
Thompson and other members of Congress, meanwhile, were asked to look at ensuring immigrants living in the country illegally are not at risk if they contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency. They were also asked to look into improving the system for alerting people of pending disasters, a more difficult task now that more homes rely on cellphones instead of landlines.
Associated Press writer Christopher Weber contributed from Los Angeles.
Kathleen Ronayne, The Associated Press