Man facing multiple charges following morning incident

By Charles Lefebvre
June 3, 2019 - 1:19pm Updated: June 3, 2019 - 7:10pm


MEDICINE HAT, AB — The Medicine Hat Police Service has taken a man into custody after he allegedly tried to break into a home in the city’s southwest Monday morning.

Officers responded to a home on Anson Avenue Southwest at approximately 8 a.m. for reports of a male breaking into a home, and allegedly armed with knives.

When police arrived, the male allegedly confronted officers with the weapons, and demanded police shoot him. Crisis negotiation was initiated with the man, who continued to challenge police.

Police used a Taser and one round of the Arwen Ace, a less-lethal weapon, to temporarily incapacitate the male. The man allegedly began to fight and resist police as he was arrested by several officers. The man was taken into custody and also transported to hospital for assessment and treatment of his injuries.

The Arwen Ace has been in place with the patrol team since last year, after spending 10 years with the police service’s tactical team. It fires a high-velocity projectile at a suspect.

Staff Sgt. Kelsey Fraser says having an option such as the Arwen Ace available for officers helps prevent the possibility of having to use a firearm.

“For this example today at this call, if the Arwen wasn’t there, we either have a Taser or a firearm to choose from,” he said. “Tasers don’t always work the way you see in a TV show. They are very precise. If both probes don’t hit, it’s a failure, so there’s lots of options for that to go wrong.

“This Arwen Ace that we have implemented for patrols is a critical gap cover between THE Taser and a firearm. This instance, I truly believe that (the) Arwen Ace prevented us from having to go to a firearm situation.”

Fraser says since patrol units have had the Arwen available, it has been used four times.

Police say the resident of the home was previously in a relationship with the male. The resident has been provided support from Victim Services.

The man is currently in police custody and awaiting a bail hearing. He is facing charges of forcible entry, possession of a weapon dangerous to the public, assault, forcible confinement, uttering threats, mischief and resisting arrest.

Local woman starts petition to advocate for the proposed supervised consumption site