Fire fighters extinguish Saturday night blaze quickly

By Taylor Chartrand
February 17, 2019 - 11:47am

Medicine Hat, AB - Late Saturday night, the Medicine Hat Fire Fighters responded to a small kitchen fire in Ross Glen.

The incident occurred at 63 Ross Glen Place and officials are saying the operation was fairly standard. The total length of the call was an hour and ten minutes.

The cause of the fire was determined to be from cooking oil in the kitchen and there were no injuries reported from the blaze.

Platoon Chief Joe Greenan says when it comes to these types of situations, people should always be aware.

"Any time you're cooking with oil, you really have to watch it" explained Greenan. "We'd prefer if you're going to do any deep-frying, that you use an approved deep-fryer, not a pot of oil on the stove with the potential that you could actually walk away and forget about it."

The cost of the damages has yet to be determined.

Nominations open for Alberta Community Justice Awards