Premier confirms two members of NDP caucus have previously been accused of inappropriate behavior

By CHAT News Today
November 9, 2018 - 11:06am

EDMONTON, AB — Premier Rachel Notley’s office says two members of her NDP caucus have been accused of inappropriate behaviour since 2015.

In a statement, Cheryl Oates, the spokesperson for the Office of the Premier, says “in both circumstances, the alleged behaviour took place outside of the workplace."

“Confidential independent investigations were undertaken in each case, resulting in recommendations that were implemented,” the statement reads.

The statement adds in order to respect the privacy of the complainants, further details will remain confidential. Oates said in neither cases was criminal conduct alleged.

The statement was issued after Premier Notley was questioned about allegations made by former MLA backbencher Robyn Luff.

In a statement posted on her Facebook page, Luff wrote “we were told that if we had any information on opposition members who had behaved inappropriately towards women that it was best not to go public with it because our party wasn't completely without fault on the matter.”

Notley says at no point were MLAs told to keep accusations of sexual misconduct against opposition members quiet.

First court appearance for owner of trucking company involved in Humboldt crash