Fiery car chase in southern Alberta ends with three arrests

By James Wood
August 11, 2017 - 1:28pm

Three people are in custody, following a car chase from High River to Vulcan.

According to a news release from the Alberta RCMP, the Calgary police notified the RCMP detachment in Okotoks about a stolen truck headed south towards the community at 2:30 a.m. on Friday.

Officers from both the Okotoks and High River detachments then found the vehicle, which was being observed by police helicopter on Highway 2. A spike belt was deployed, and two of the vehicles tires were deflated north of High River.

After being deflated, the vehicle turned off Highway 2, heading towards High River. Two passengers left the vehicle, and tried to hide from police. However, the man and the woman were located with the aid of the helicopter, and arrested without incident.

The stolen truck headed into High River, and then turned east onto Highway 23 towards the enforcement area for the Vulcan RCMP. A spike belt deployed by Vulcan officers deflated the other two tires, while the driver continued heading south.

Sparks from the truck then ignited a fire in the ditch along Highway 23, close to the village of Champion. Members of the village’s volunteer fire department put out the flames.

The stolen truck eventually caught fire itself, and had to stop, being unable to continue on the rims. After the vehicle came to a stop, the 35 year old male driver was arrested. He was found to be on statutory release, and sent back to Correctional Services Canada.

Charges of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, possession of stolen property and flight from police are pending against the driver.

The two passengers who jumped from the vehicle near High River, a 26-year-old female and 25-year-old male, both from Calgary, face a charge of possession of stolen property over $5000.

They have been released from custody and are scheduled to appear in Okotoks Provincial Court on September 8, 2017.


Air quality advisory issued for southeastern Alberta