SUBSCRIBE & WIN! Sign up for the Daily CHAT News Today Newsletter for a chance to win a $75 South Country Co-op gift card!

FIle Photo/LNN
BUSINESS

Lethbridge would be among the hardest-hit Canadian cities from tariffs: report

Feb 11, 2025 | 9:24 AM

A new report from the Canadian Chamber of Commerce says Alberta’s four largest cities would be greatly impacted by potential tariffs imposed by the United States.

The chamber developed the U.S. Tariff Exposure Index using data from Statistics Canada, reflecting how much trade the country does with the U.S. and each community’s dependence on it as a key export destination.

While there will be nationwide implications if Trump’s proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods come into play, the impact for some of Canada’s cities will be “far more local and personal,” said the chamber’s chief economist Stephen Tapp.

“With this analysis, Canadians, businesses and policy makers have more evidence to inform ongoing discussions about how Canada can best respond to the monumental challenge brought by unnecessary and unjustified U.S. tariffs,” Tapp added.

The index shows that Calgary would be the second hardest hit by tariffs as it is a major exporter of crude oil and natural gas to the U.S. midwest. Beef is also a major export.

Calgary exports just over $119 billion worth of goods to the U.S. annually from 1,887 different companies, the most of any Canadian city.

Lethbridge ranked 10th out of 41 cities in terms of U.S. tariff exposure. Annual exports from the city are over $2 billion, or just over $15,000 per capita.

Approximately 91.7 per cent of all goods exported from the Lethbridge area goes to the United States, making up 19.4 per cent of the city’s GDP.

The report says 178 exporters ship goods from Lethbridge to the U.S., many of whom specialize in agricultural exports such as wheat, canola and beef.

Red Deer would be the 21st most impacted by tariffs while Edmonton is 24th on the list.

Medicine Hat is not mentioned on the index.

Chamber president and CEO Candace Laing says the looming tariff threat is still very real, despite the 30-day pause on across-the-board levies announced by President Donald Trump early last week.

She said communities should remain vigilant and brace for impact.

“Already we’ve heard from members across Canada how the threat of tariffs is disrupting local businesses and economies,” Laing said.

“This new data further emphasizes that this is not a game we want to play when so many livelihoods depend on a stable relationship with the U.S.”