In the news today, Jan. 19

By The Canadian Press
January 19, 2018 - 2:30am

Six stories in the news for Friday, Jan. 19

———

QUEBEC CITY LATEST STOP ON TRUDEAU TOUR

Canada must do a better job of welcoming newcomers and never forget that diversity is the country's strength, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a crowd at his latest town-hall event in Quebec City on Thursday. Trudeau fielded a number of questions on immigration and the need to fight intolerance during his stop in the city, which is preparing to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the Jan. 29, 2017 deadly mosque shooting where six men were killed.

———

ONTARIO GAS PLANTS VERDICT DUE TODAY

A judge is set to deliver his verdict today related to Ontario's gas-plants scandal. Former top political aides David Livingston and Laura Miller are charged over the destruction of documents. The senior staff to former premier Dalton McGuinty are accused of attempted mischief and illegal use of a computer. Prosecutors alleged the duo illegally destroyed records to save the Liberal party embarrassment over a decision to cancel two gas plants in 2011.

———

DOUBLE-MURDER SUSPECT TO APPEAR IN COURT

A man charged with first-degree murder in the presumed deaths of two men who vanished from Toronto's gay village last year is set to appear in court today. Bruce McArthur, a 66-year-old Toronto man, was arrested and charged yesterday as part of an investigation into the disappearance of Selim Esen and Andrew Kinsman. Both men were reported missing last year and their bodies have not been found.

———

LAC-MEGANTIC DELIBERATIONS ENTERING DAY 9

Jurors are set to deliberate for a ninth consecutive day at the trial of three men charged with criminal negligence causing death in the Lac-Megantic railway disaster. There was no news again from the 12 jurors on Thursday. They are deciding the fate of Tom Harding, Richard Labrie and Jean Demaitre, who are charged in connection with the July 2013 tragedy in which 47 people were killed when a runaway train carrying crude oil derailed and exploded.

———

TIM HORTONS PROTESTS EXPANDING

Protesters angered by some Ontario Tim Hortons franchisees who slashed workers' benefits and breaks after the province raised its minimum wage plan to spread their rallies to other areas of the country. About 50 demonstrations are planned across the country today, although at least 38 will be based in Ontario. Protest are also planned for Calgary, Halifax, Saskatoon, Regina, Vancouver and two cities in British Columbia.

———

CELINE DION CANCELS TWO MORE VEGAS SHOWS

Canadian superstar Celine Dion has cancelled two more concerts in Las Vegas, making it seven shows she has cancelled this month due to illness. A statement on her Facebook page says concerts on Friday and Saturday won't go ahead because the singer's lingering cold has affected her vocal chords. Dion had earlier cancelled a performance last Saturday and again this Tuesday and Wednesday.

———

ALSO IN THE NEWS TODAY:

— Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will visit Pikangikum in northern Ontario.

— Alberta Premier Rachel Notley and Labour Minister Christina Gray will announce expanded cancer coverage for firefighters.

— Liberal MP Wayne Easter will announce federal funding for the P.E.I. agriculture industry.

— Statistics Canada data releases today include November's manufacturing survey.

— GM Canada will officially open its new Canadian Technical Centre in Markham, Ont.

— Gov. Gen. Julie Payette is scheduled to wrap up visits today to Ukraine and Latvia.

— HMCS Charlottetown returns home from a six-month deployment to the Baltic and Mediterranean Seas.

 

The Canadian Press

GUID: 
7ccfefde-d015-40fd-b95e-4e8ff365f04f
updated_date: 
Fri, 19 Jan 2018 07:51:24 -0500

Canada providing another $12.1 million to help ease humanitarian crisis in Yemen