First part of Castle parks upgrades completed by province

By The Canadian Press
July 27, 2017 - 3:31pm

CALGARY - The Alberta government says the first phase of work has been completed to expand recreational opportunities in the Castle parks region in the province's southwest.

Environment Minister Shannon Phillips says 184 campsites have been refurbished and a day-use area has been expanded.

She says other projects underway include new day-use shelters and rustic camping sites that can be used by RV owners.

It's part of a four-year, $20-million plan to increase recreational use in the region.

“Albertans have loved the Castle for generations,” Phillips said in a statement. “We’re protecting this natural wonder while improving accessibility and amenities that enrich the ability for Albertans to enjoy one of the most majestic and biologically diverse areas in the province.”

Earlier this year, Alberta formally created two new parks in the Castle wilderness and announced it will gradually phase out off-highway vehicle use there.

That move has angered off-highway users, who say a plan can be worked out to allow for motorized use while protecting the environment.

 

Dry weather extinguishes backyard fire pits in Lethbridge